Once again, I was on the proverbial precipice. Two weeks before I was about to leave, I noticed that my beloved service dog and dearest companion, Basha, would every once in awhile take a breath that sounded odd. We took her to the vet and got a devastating diagnosis–dilated cardiomyopathy or enlarged heart. Her breathing became much more labored after the diagnosis or perhaps I had been in denial. I sent her to a world renowned cardiologist in Santa Fe and the prognosis was grim. And I had to leave for India in two weeks! I put her on massive heart medications and a whole heart health regime of supplements. I also treated her herbally for parasites. There is no known etiology for cardiomyopathy. I was desperate to help my beloved one, and I  didn’t know how I could leave with her in this condition. I was clearly at a crossroads. I was scheduled to be gone for eight weeks and I knew I was supposed to go. I just didn’t know how I could leave her.

I had been told almost two years earlier by a very gifted animal communicator that Basha wanted to leave her body to do deeper spiritual work. If you don’t believe in such things, skip this paragraph. I was devastated to hear this. I begged her to stay. If this was her exit strategy, I wanted no part of it. However, I knew I had to go to India for my healing journey and I may have had no choice.

I already wrote about my experience healing in India. Here is the rest of the story. When I finally confronted my Story of the old woman and all the fear fell away, my body began to heal. But I was desperately afraid to get reports on Basha. I just couldn’t ask. I knew she was refusing to eat in the mornings. This was very not typical of my dog. I selected the most nutritious and enticing raw meat for her. And she usually ate one good meal every day. I tried to stay focused on my process and not be distracted. Gradually, I began to hear that Bash was becoming more active. By the end of the eight weeks, I was told that she was playing like a puppy.

When we reunited, we were both so much more alive. She saw the cardiologist in Santa Fe and the ultrasound technician called me personally. These were her words. “This is not just good news, this is cause for celebration.” She thought she only had six months to live when she first saw her. She added that females didn’t usually get dilated cardiomyopathy. I could tell she was trying to find a way to have this make sense to her. This made no medical sense whatsoever.

Welcome to my world.